CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Teaching Rant

Well most of you know that I am a teacher, a very rewarding job that I truly love. But since we moved to this place called Connecticut my love of teaching has been tested time and time again. I have been a substitute teacher, long term substitute teacher, and a teacher's assistant. All attempts to show the "masters of the school" aka principals that I am an outstanding teacher and they should hire me! Well I am not sure that is ever going to happen here. First of all it seems to me that principals here really are not involved with what is being taught in the classroom. Seriously I was a "long term sub" for 4 months and she only came into my classroom twice. How in the heck are you going to know what I am truly capable of if you only pop your head in twice.

So now it is August 12th and I know that school is going to be starting in just a few weeks and I still have no position. Now I know that I am not the only one, for every position that is posted about 300 people apply. That means that 299 other "lost teaching souls" are in my very large sometimes sinking boat. So this poses me with a question, to work or not to work!

I got so very frustrated with the whole teaching thing that I decided that it would just be better to go work at the mall. My beloved "hubbins" told me "You are a teacher, you went to school to be a teacher! You don't want to work at the mall." Now everyone that knows me knows that I am a very "busy body" I always feel like there is something that I should be doing. For me to sit on my Buttocks will drive me crazy. So should I wait for school to start and continue substitute teaching or head on out to the retail work force. I would love to hear some opinions.

6 comments:

J said...

do you like subbing? if not keep applying but go find a fun bookstore or cute clothes store to fill up your time.

Unknown said...

Hmmm...I think I side with Mike. I am sure you are amazingly frustrated and annoyed and dare I say, pissed off? But, if you ever want to teach in Connecticut you will have to stick it out and prove how great you are and how dedicated to teaching you are! Good luck! I hope things happen for you and quickly!

HeRoosSheRoos said...

You ARE one of the best teachers out there. It is the students who are missing out. I completely believe that things happen for a reason and I'm sure there is something better waiting just for you. In the meantime, do what makes you feel happy and satisfied. If it's clothing- fine, if it's substitute teaching -fine, whatever it is, you will be directed in the path you're meant to follow. There is not a nicer, more deserving person out there.

Wayman Fam said...

I agree with Mike. You are an amazing teacher and I'm envious at how patient you are when it comes to teaching. Hey I had a thought, I'm sure there are many opening here in this wonderful state of Utah!!

Wayman Fam said...

Hey I forget to mention Happy Birthday yesterday. I sent you a text message but wasn't sure if you got it or not. I hope you had a great day!

Anonymous said...

I think you should get a little part-time job to keep you from going bonkers but continue to keep trying for a teaching gig. The hubs is right: you went to school to teach and you like it so that's what you should do. I am thinking I will probably need a little part-time work to keep me sane once I get out to CT next year. Maybe we can work at the Hickory Farms and sell cheese logs together!

Also, drop me an email: comecleandoreenATyahooDOTcom. If you aren't busy on the 28th before the picnic we can get together if you want. Marvin keeps suggesting we do "girly things" together. I don't know what he thinks we're going to do; maybe braid each others' hair or have a pillow fight in our PJs. :)